More than two thirds of Ariane’s payloads have been telecommunications satellites. As the article ‘A European launcher for a global market’ explains, European frustration at being dependent on US commercial launch capability was a major driver in the genesis of the Ariane programme.
• Bundeswehr awards a four year welfare communications services contract to Astrium.
• Astrium Services will provide German troops with Internet access and GSM networks for private use.
Toulouse, 20 February 2008 – Astrium Services has opened its new teleport in Toulouse, thereby adding a satellite infrastructure network in France to the existing networks the company already has in the United Kingdom and Germany.
• The satellite telecommunications services of Vizada, Vizada Networks and Paradigm will be marketed under the Astrium brand from October 2012
• This gives Astrium Services a new, unified organisational structure and marks the final phase in the integration of the Vizada group, which was…
Le Bourget, 18 June 2009 – The French Ministry of Defence’s telecommunications operator, DIRISI, awarded the entire ASTEL-S contract to Astrium Services at the end of April 2009. Astrium has now become the ministry’s sole supplier in the private sector of fixed satellite services. Eric…
• Astrium, number three company in the world for space technologies, is the only company to design and build launch vehicles and satellites, and to provide telecommunications and space-based imagery services
• At the LAAD Defence & Security international exhibition in Rio de Janeiro…
Wednesday 20 February 2008 - Astrium Services has been selected by France’s "Economat des Armées" (French MoD's Joint Logistics and Supply Agency) to deliver PASSEREL end-to-end communications services to France’s troops deployed overseas, primarily in the Balkans, Africa, and Middle-East.
Telecommunications today increasingly travel via space._